Marking the end of term

It's 4.16pm and it's already dark. I walked back in the rain with them, the friends whom I got to know better by walking with them almost every day. We splashed water and talked about silly things like kids. "Stop being so childish, Chris", he exclaimed, and stomped hard on a puddle. I smiled, I realised that I do have English friends although I don't go out with them. It's funny how little things like walking back home together and give you an opportunity to know people better. I'm really grateful for that.

I had a good end of the term although everyone looked sullen in the morning because of the gloomy day and the incessant rain. We had group hugs and high five's to wish each other a good holiday. Most people gave me sad looks when I told them I'm not going home. Honestly, I felt a bit sad as I watched my friends go back home. I regretted wanting to stay back but the thought of my brother being in the UK comforted me. Time really flies! I can't believe that almost 3 months had gone since I came here. I feel less homesick right now, I know that there're better things to expect for the next 6 months.

I've learnt that some friendships grow faster than others. I learnt that you have to put in effort to make things work. I learnt that sometimes we just have to be patient and wait. I learnt to put my emotions aside and sleep on it. I learnt to accept things as they are and to not push things to go my way. Finally, I learnt that trusting God is the key to living a contented life.

The experience here has humbled me in many ways as I see a lot of my inadequacy. I realised that it's really not about being the best but it's about being honest about my abilities and limitations. I've learnt to learn from people who are better than me and at the same time share my thoughts with them. I've learnt that although I'm very different, I don't have to be embarrassed about it. Sometimes it's a good thing to stand out, especially when you make people smile.

-this little light of mine by Addison Road

Comments

Popular Posts