the kampung style childhood (part 1)

it was drizzling. i was holding my balloon above my head as we headed to the gate. 'do you know how to play with balloons?' i asked him. 'you can actually play with it?' he responded with a grin. 'what?' i gave him an awkward look and laughed, hitting my balloon upwards. i watched as my golden balloon came down in the sheets of rain, then i swung my hands to hit the balloon into the sky. repetitively, i did the same thing, chasing, hitting and laughing until i was worn out. piece by piece, my childhood memories came back to me. its still a wonder how a simple game like that made me laugh so much.

i remember how we used to have so many balloons in church after celebrations. that was when my besties and i will toss the balloon to the ceiling of the church and start playing this game we'd created, 'never let the balloon touch the ground'. the game gets even better when there are more balloons and you are not allowed to let any of them fall to the ground. we liked to run around carrying our colourful balloons tied together in a string. the greatest thing that could have happened to us was getting floating balloons! we never knew that they were filled with helium gas back then, so we called them the flying balloons. however when we brought them home, they didn't really mean anything anymore, without our friends to share them with. as kids, we were always fascinated by simple things. we made balloons into balls, apples, water bombs, tummies and anything else we could think of. we knew all the weird ways to burst a balloon. while most of my friends liked to pinch, poke or sit on their balloon to burst it. i always preferred the 'green way' of doing it, which is by releasing your balloon on any patch of grass. and wala, u will see it burst so gently and softly. okay this is not entirely true, but still, at least u don't have to waste energy and it will definitely burst because the tip of a grass blade is sharp. :P Haha! just explaining so that you won't think that I'm coming up with weird theories. Ahhh.. balloons. i can never leave them out of my childhood memories.

he released his balloon and it bobbed around. taking turns, we hit and kicked the balloon so that it will not touch the ground. we were like two crazy kids playing with their balloons in the rain. fancy how a balloon made us laugh so much.

that's when i realized that I still have the child i once was in my heart.


my childhood is precious, as 'kampung' as it can be. =)

Comments

Popular Posts