Life transition

I am 4 days from going back to the UK, even as I have been waking up late and sleeping late, beginning to adjust to the UK time zone, my mind is slightly confused as to the life I am going to embrace in a week's time.

After 5 years in university, I have finally graduated as a dentist and I can finally call myself a working adult now. It has been great the past 5 years, somehow, 5 years ago felt longer than that and I cannot seem to identify with the 19-year-old girl that I was. I came across a video that I recorded for a friend's birthday 5 years ago and I cringed at the accent (which sounded American but a really "bimbotic" one, you get the picture), the look I had on my face, the things I was saying and the words I was using.

Rewind by 5 years, I used to think that I was very mature for my age, partly because that was what people told me and because I was constantly asked for relationship or life advice that I actually had no experience of. Now, looking at the 19-year-old's fresh into university, I cannot help it but feel old and outdated. I am reminded of how far I have come and how much I have changed but I am glad that my faith has only grown over time even as God proved his existence in my good and bad times.

In truth, my life on my own is only starting now. As much as advice is important in making wise decisions, I have learnt that it is equally important to make a decision that you are convicted of so that you are not doing it for someone else's peace. We do make many important decisions in our twenties regarding out lives, and that include decisions we make about our faith, careers, finances and relationships.

We may not always get the support we want, but I believe that in every decision to put God first, you cannot go wrong. Because when you choose to put God first, you are ultimately not living for your own pleasure or selfishness. With this, I am only thankful that I get to live a life bigger than my own.







Comments

Popular Posts