Thank God I'm alive

I dared not sleep. I wanted to wait for the train manager to come to me. I kept extending my neck towards the aisle to see if he was coming through the doors. I needed an answer….or more accurately, I needed a solution. I used my phone to track the location of the next train going to Birmingham and did the calculations in my brain. I could not possibly make it in time.

I couldn't be more happy when he arrived at my seat and asked for my ticket. "My first train was delayed and they asked to me to come to this train because it caused me to miss another train. Which train should I board next?" He checked my tickets and started clicking on his portable "machine". He frowned and printed me a small little card stating the time of the next train. "This is the earliest train that I can find you. But you won't be able to catch your 3rd connecting rain. Go talk to the stage manager when you reach Sheffield, he will be able to help you." I was relieved upon hearing that and thought that everything would be fine in a while. I was wrong.

It took me a while to reach the stage manager's office because I kept walking to and fro. When he finally had time to listen to me, I explained that I might missed the train to Oxford because I missed the 2nd connecting train and had to take other trains. Initially, he thought that I was the one who was late and miss the train. "No, my first train was delayed." I said, a bit irritated. "Oh, that makes sense. I'll make a phone call for you but I cannot guarantee that the train to oxford would want to wait for you. If not, they would find another way to get you to oxford." I left, really doubtful if the train will even wait for me. So what happens if the train doesn't wait for me? Plus, who are "they"?

I stood beside the rail tracks hoping that the train would quickly come. Like I said, I could track every train on my phone. So, I found out that it got stuck somewhere before reaching sheffield. 9 minutes delayed, it showed on the board. "Great," I sighed. I checked on my phone again after 5 minutes, it said 12 minutes delayed. I felt so… hopeless. Now, I will never ever ever get in time for the connecting train to Oxford. I looked for trains arriving in Oxford but to my dismay, the train that I was going to miss was the last train. 
When the train finally arrived, I boarded the train but was prepared to sleep in the Birmingham train station. Honestly, I didn't know why I boarded the train but I still held hope that I will get to Oxford, some way or the other. So what to do when you are going to miss the train and there are no other later trains? 1st step, get the train company's number and call them! No wait, my phone's microphone is not working. 
ARRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!

Nevermind, get Wilson to help me call. So I started typing a long message to him. Before I could even explain, the train manager came up to me. "YES, A SAVIOUR!" I screamed in my heart. I told her my situation and she seemed very worried for me. Thank God for her, she really tried to help me. However, she then realised that the only solution was to go to the customer services in Birmingham. Oh well. Better than no solution, no?

At that point, I knew that I could only pray…and wait. The thought of sleeping in the Birmingham train station came to mind but I knew in my heart that it would not happen, only because I knew that God would not abandon me like that. "You will protect me and help me, I know." 

After reaching Birmingham, I went to the customer services and received disappointing news. I was asked to take another train to Banbury, which is nearer to oxford. Then, they will send a taxi to bring me home. "You would have to walk to another train station, don't worry, it's not too far." the man told me. I pursed my lips, clearly very disappointed about the whole situation. I looked at my watch, it showed 10.45pm. Okay, so I have to wait for another 45 minutes. "It's okay, at least you're still alive," I told myself. I don't remember which song was playing from my phone at that time but I remember that the lyrics were about not being alone in times of trouble and that God is there with me. I felt more comforted, God sure knows how to make me feel better.

Well, good thing I didn't lose my way to the other train station. I waited at the wrong platform though! It was really amazing because the cleaner came up to me and asked me where I was going to, which was totally random. Then he told me to go to another platform to wait. He was right =.= haha. So, I boarded the right train and was on my way to Banbury. 

Like seriously, it was my fourth train that night.

When I finally reached banbury, the station was empty. I sort of expected that because I was the last person on the train. I've never imagine myself being the last person on the train at 1am. Sounds a bit scary eh?? Anyway, I met the security guard and he helped me call up the train company. I talked to the person from the company and told the same story for like the 5th time that night. After waiting for 30 minutes, which passed quite quickly because the security guard kept talking to me. The company finally rang us up again! They booked a taxi for me to bring me home! weeeeee.

Story's not over. =.= 

The taxi men were not keen on driving me to oxford because it was late and far. However, a kind young driver decided to bring me back, but only to the train station. I almost fainted because that means that I have to walk to my friend's place, which is around 30 minutes away. "I can pay extra if you bring me back to my friend's place?" He hesitated and said okay. Then, he realised that my friend's place might be on the way. "I'll bring you back." he said, looking at google map, trying to figure out where the place is.

Trust me, that was the best moment ever. I don't have to pay at all!

We had a good chat on the way to oxford. I can't believe that I talked to so many strangers and told them about myself. Anyway, after the long journey, I reached Oxford at 2am! weeeeee!

Despite the unfortunate events that made me clueless and frustrated, I thank God for his protection and providence. Thank God that he sent kind people to help me out on the way, thank God that I didn't cry on the train, thank God that I didn't have to sleep overnight in the train station, thank God that the train company paid for my taxi fare.

Thank God I'm alive.


Comments

  1. Isn't that the joy of travelling? You meet people, build new relationships, explore the world and learn more about yourself! Glad you're safe... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank god that you are safely arrived... and you are getting more mature .. feel so happy to you =) take care yourself there <3 MISS YOU !!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts